Management Accountant - Position No 1425.000
Position No: 1425.000
Salary: $88,967.32 pa plus 9.5% Superannuation
Position Status: Permanent Full Time
Hours of Work: 35 Hour week with RDO every fortnight
Closing Date: 4.00pm Monday 29 January 2018
About Cowra & Cowra Council
Cowra Council is located in the town of Cowra (population circa 10,000) and the Shire's population 12,500. The shire has a strong and diverse agriculture base with solid industrial, commercial and retail sectors. Whilst Cowra boasts excellent medical and education services we are strategically located close to the regional cities of Orange and Bathurst so access to higher end medical treatment and tertiary education is available.
Cowra is a busy and active community with a number of true country experiences from relaxing along the extensive waterways to exploring the tranquil Japanese Garden and Cultural Centre. Residents and tourists alike seek out Cowra's fascinating history, from the days of steam trains to the largest Prisoner of War breakout in modern military history.
Having been declared "Fit for the Future", Council now has a strong foundation to be able to plan for the future and continue to provide the infrastructure and services expected by our community.
Councils finances are healthy and our assets are well maintained. We have 171 staff and a budget of $34.6 million. We pride ourselves on our contemporary, professional approach with a focus on customer service excellence.
About the Role
Cowra Council has an exciting opportunity for a Management Accountant to join our dedicated finance team.
Reporting to the Manager - Finance, this role will find the successful applicant responsible for overseeing Council's financial systems and providing effective and efficient accounting support to the finance division. The successful applicant will be responsible for managing and motivating the finance team with 4 staff reporting directly to this position.
Some duties and responsibilities include:
- Coordinate and oversee Council's Accounting functions - Accounts Payable, Account Receivable, Payroll, Inventory & Plant.
- Coordinating and overseeing the finance team and assisting staff from other departments with enquiries.
- Weekly reconciliation of Council's bank accounts and investment of Council funds.
- Overseeing subsidiary ledgers and performing monthly reconciliations.
- Performing expenditure reviews and acting as co-signatory for cheque and electronic transfers.
- Maintaining the structure and content of the Council's General Ledger.
- Producing monthly and quarterly budget reports.
- Prepare Annual Fringe Benefits tax returns and assist in preparation of annual financial statements and other statutory reports.
To be considered for this position applicants must demonstrate knowledge, understanding and experience across the following essential criteria:
- Formal qualification in Business or Accounting.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, reviewing and reporting on budgets.
- Demonstrated experience in lodging end of financial year requirements including FBT and GST and general operational annual returns.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a work team and ensure day to day, monthly and annual requirements of the finance area are met.
- Demonstrated advanced skills in using Microsoft Excel.
- Demonstrated advance report writing, verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising a finance team (3 Years +).
- Previous Local Government experience, ideally using the Authority financial management program.
This is an excellent opportunity to step into a management role with variety and responsibility.
Please click on the link for a full copy of the POSITION DESCRIPTION
Further enquiries: Manager - Finance - Scott Ellison - 02 6340 2106
How to Apply
Before you apply for this position, please read the position description carefully to assess your eligibility and suitability for the position.
You will be required to answer questions relating to the selection criteria on the online application below, your answers will be accessed & rated, so please ensure you take time in providing your answers and give examples of demonstrated experience when requested.
You will also be asked to attach your current resume which should include two recent employment related referees. Please note that you cannot submit your application without attaching your resume. A cover letter is not mandatory, but may be added if so desired.
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have commenced your application you cannot save and continue at a later stage.
Late applications will not be accepted.
In the event you are shortlisted for an interview, and are then selected to progress to the next stage following interview, you must be prepared to undergo the following pre-employment screening processes as part of the selection process:
- A pre-employment physical examination, including hearing, drug & alcohol assessments.
- Please include two work related referees in your resume for reference checking purposes - please ensure your referee details are current
- Council may also check authenticity of certificates and qualifications